League Tracker ideas

Topics: Request
Coordinator
May 24, 2007 at 9:27 PM
I am about to start on development of the league tracker... which seems to be a hot item. Does anyone have a scenario and some examples of how the data would be displayed?
May 24, 2007 at 10:18 PM

z2bass wrote:
I am about to start on development of the league tracker... which seems to be a hot item. Does anyone have a scenario and some examples of how the data would be displayed?

What I would like to see is for a soccer team site:

A club contains a number of teams.

Competition containing X teams Where from a competition one team belongs to the club. The rest are teams from other clubs. All teams playing an X number of times (usually 2) against each other.
Winning gives ie 3 point, a draw 1 point , loose = 0 point.
That would be the competition part.

Apart from that there are also team statistics. (for us much more of importance)
a Season(Year) consist of Team consist of players. This way it is possible to build a history of the career of the players.
For teams gamereports could be written (accually news items with pictures that can be linked te albums all in the context of a season).

I am thinking of how it would be displayed on the screen, but it gives an idea of how I want to have it for my club.

Coordinator
May 25, 2007 at 12:23 AM
Soccer (football for those outside the US ;) ) seems to be a popular use.

Im thinking this table structure, at this point.

Teams
--------
id
Name
LeaderMemKey (membership GUID)

Players
--------
id
teamid
memkey

PlayerStats
----------
id
StatName
Value (bool, string, int)

PayersInStatsByGame
---------
statid
Value
gameid

GameResults
--------
gameid
team1id
team2id
Date
Winner (int: 1 (team 1), 2 (team 2), 0 (tie), -1 (not played yet)

I think the BLL should take care of the dirty work when it comes to stats and such. Is this detailed enough?
May 25, 2007 at 6:54 AM

z2bass wrote:
Soccer (football for those outside the US ;) ) seems to be a popular use.

Im thinking this table structure, at this point.

Teams
--------
id
Name

Players
--------
id
teamid
memkey

PlayerStats
----------
id
StatName

PayersInStatsByGame
---------
statid
Value
gameid

GameResults
--------
gameid
team1id
team2id
Date

I think the BLL should take care of the dirty work when it comes to stats and such. Is this detailed enough?

Youre right, outside of the US soccer is the world leading sport.
I agree for a large part with the entity model, except I don't know exactly where yoe want to go with the PlayerStats and PlayerStatsByGame. Which data would be the value. A rating or something?

A model that I think would help a lot of clubs is the following:

Season
--------
id
Name (string)
StartDate
EndDate

Teams
--------
id
Name
SeasonID
TeamPhoto (Link to a photalbum?)

PlayerInTeam
---------------
PlayerID
TeamID
PlayerPhoto (link to a photoalbum?)

Players
--------
id
memkey

PlayerStats
----------
id
StatName

PayersInStatsByGame
---------
statid
Value
gameid

GameResults
--------
gameid
team1id
team2id
Season
Date
ResultScore
newsID (link to the news entities for storing gamereviews and photo's)

I hope this gives you an idea. This way there can be build a history of the career of players and the accompanied teams they where in. Also it is possible to easely retrieve newsarticles (gameresults) for a given team in a given season.
Coordinator
May 25, 2007 at 11:28 AM
Ok... that works.

Basically what happens with the PlayersInStatsByGame table is that a particular stat is dumped into the table every game. The stats can be synopsized by game or by team. This allows people to add their own stats into the database.
May 27, 2007 at 8:42 PM
hi

Im trying to produce a running club web site and would like to be able to upload results to the SQL database and have members look up thier results through a query. For example http://www.sirisaac.co.uk/raceresults07.html

Im a real novice at this, does anyone fancy a go at this, I might even pay a small fee for it to be done if you contact me.
Coordinator
May 27, 2007 at 10:30 PM
If you can wait a few weeks, we will have the functionality into the kit.
May 27, 2007 at 11:17 PM

z2bass wrote:
If you can wait a few weeks, we will have the functionality into the kit.

OK will look forward to it. Thanks
May 28, 2007 at 5:50 AM
zack, one of the sites I have has some examples of what stats are normally tracked for the players. www.prccsoccer.com. The statistics page. For high school and colleg ethey need the ability to track mens and womens stats.

Things like games played, minutes played, assists goals shots,etc. Got keepers, games and minutes played, shots on goal and saves. Also calculating GAA (Goals Allowed Average).

All of the come off of the NJCAA web site for Junior colelges. Each goal is worth 2 point and assists are 1 point. As with most sports, the player with the most points is the team leader.

I can elaborate more if you would like.

Bob
Coordinator
Jun 10, 2007 at 9:09 PM
Teams
--------
id
Name
SeasonID

Players
--------
id
teamid
memkey

PlayerStats
----------
id
StatName

PayersInStatsByGame
---------
statid
Value
gameid

GameResults
--------
gameid
team1id
team2id
Date
team1score
team2score
newsID

Season
--------
id
Name (string)
StartDate
EndDate

This is what I will be going on. The reason I didn't attach the player photo, rvanhoornaar, is because we will just pull the person's avatar. Anything else I need to add?
Jun 11, 2007 at 7:27 AM
Zack,

In that case you're making the assumption that the players also have signed in into the site. Ok that's possible.
Usually the signing in into the website does not reflect the players that are physically member of the club. The players are all member of the Dutch soccer accociation.
It is ok because we just have to add them only once although there are 700 members ;)

What I do need is a Team photo season related and a cross table between the team and players also season related because players are changing of team every season.

The idea I had for the user interface is:

Dropdown menu for selecting the team.

Left allocated menu (per team ) for the following items (pages):

• Teamfoto (default page)
  • Selecting year (default from webconfig)
  • Playersinfo (form with the picture and possibly some career info/stats. This possible when making the players(career)info season dependant)
  • Game reports (copy of newspage in the context of the teams and season)
  • Game result (scores and standings (Is this correct English? I mean the possition in the competition related to other team))
  • photo gallery (team and season related)

It looks quite extensive, but I think many clubs (especially the soccer teams in western europe) will benefit from this because they all think in this way.

Keep up the good work

Robert
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2007 at 2:55 PM
Robert, the way I have architected it, the teams are sorted by season. Each season, the coordinator or someone will need to put in all the team names. (That reminds me... I need to put in a IsCurrent tag for the season table). But you are right, there needs to be a team photos table.

TeamPhotos
---------------
id
teamid
photo
IsDefault

So the IsDefault will just be true if it is just the default photo for that year's team. The game result, game report, player info, and news article is in the architecture already.
Jun 12, 2007 at 4:39 PM
Any thoughts on Adding a BIO page for the players? Picture, etc. All goes to stats. In addition, a Roster page would tie in nicely.

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2007 at 6:00 PM

rhhanson wrote:
Any thoughts on Adding a BIO page for the players? Picture, etc. All goes to stats. In addition, a Roster page would tie in nicely.

Yeah, we'll pull all that from the database.
Jun 27, 2007 at 9:48 AM
Great job!
I'm just started making a website for a hockeyteam. And this leaguetable is just I was looking for.
Any idea when the beta version is ready? DatabaseTable looks very good.

a good example:
http://www.vcclub.org/FieldStats.aspx
also great players statistics.

SteveStunt