Upgrading from V1 to V2

Topics: Developer Discussion, Help
Jul 15, 2007 at 10:50 AM
Have been looking at V2 and can see some great new features that are nice additions to the club starter kit.

I've been using V1 for a while now in a live deployment and generally the site is maintenance free but I can see that some of the new features in V2 would be nice to have,

Has anyone thought about how to upgrade the database from V1 to V2? This is something I will have a look at but wondered if anyone else has thought about this. I have built up quite a lot of data over the last year and would like to keep it when moving between versions.

In addition has anyone thought about providing any of the new features seperately? So for example if I just wanted to add the Content Management or updates to the News?

Anyway, I guess my priority would be to look at upgrading or migrating data across so as to provide a seamless transition between versions. So if anyone has any thoughts they would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work guys.

Tony
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2007 at 4:24 PM
It has been thought about many times, but I just recently discovered a way that this could work.

I think I need to do a little experamentation. If you would like me to upgrade your database for you, I would like to see if I can create a script that would help people upgrade from v1 to v2. If you want to do this, just send me an mdf or bak of your database and I will try to 1) upgrade your database and 2) create a script that upgrades everyone's databases.
Jul 15, 2007 at 8:51 PM
Sounds good, I'll be happy to provide you with a backup of my database to see if you can find a way to do this, I'm not quite ready to do the upgrade just yet, will need to update pages etc. to cusomise but if the end result is a script that performs the DB upgrade them thats going to be good news going forward for anyone that already has a site deployed using the older version of the club site starter kit.. I'm not sure how big the DB backup will be but will advise you.

Coordinator
Jul 15, 2007 at 11:08 PM
tonypred,

Let me know when you are ready. You can send the database to my email (zowens@eagleenvision.net) or your can email me if that doesn't work.