Problem viewing Forum post

Topics: Help
Jul 16, 2007 at 11:29 PM
I am using the May 11th release version and when I try to view an individual forum post (accessing thread.aspx) I get the following error:

Server Error in '/redhotchilimommas' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Line 45: memberid = New Guid(memberid.ToString())
Line 46: Dim memUser As MembershipUser = Membership.GetUser(_memberid)
Line 47: _joined = memUser.CreationDate
Line 48: _online = memUser.IsOnline
Line 49: _email = memUser.Email

Source File: C:\Users\Jason\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\redhotchilimommas\App_Code\ForumUser.vb Line: 47

Stack Trace:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
ClubSiteForums.ForumUser.Load(Object memberid) in C:\Users\Jason\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\redhotchilimommas\AppCode\ForumUser.vb:47
ClubSiteForums.ForumUser..ctor(Object memberid) in C:\Users\Jason\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\redhotchilimommas\App_Code\ForumUser.vb:35
ClubSiteForums.ForumUser.GetCachedForumUser(Object memberid) in C:\Users\Jason\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\redhotchilimommas\App_Code\ForumUser.vb:105
ASP.forumthreadaspx.GetSignature(Object memberid) in C:\Users\Jason\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\redhotchilimommas\Forum\Thread.aspx:138
ASP.forumthreadaspx._DataBinding_control14(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\Jason\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\redhotchilimommas\Forum\Thread.aspx:213
System.Web.UI.Control.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +99
System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) +206
System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() +12
System.Web.UI.Control.DataBindChildren() +216
System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) +216
System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() +12
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateItem(Int32 itemIndex, ListItemType itemType, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem) +130
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +454
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +53
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.DataBind() +72
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.EnsureDataBound() +55
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +12
System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +77
System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +161
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1360

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1318; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1318

Any ideas what the problem could be? This is the second time I have launched a website with this starter kit and the first time I had no trouble at all with the forums.

Thanks in advance.
Jul 16, 2007 at 11:43 PM
Quick update - After additional testing I realized that the problem was that the original posts in the thread were made by a user that had been subsequently deleted.

New threads from current users seem to work fine.

While my particular problem is solved, it seems like there can certainly be issues down the road in the life of a forum if threads no longer become visible because a person who posted to it has been deleted.

Thanks.
Coordinator
Jul 17, 2007 at 12:52 AM
Yea... I knew about that issue. I need to 1) figure out if that still applies and 2) make a fix.
Jul 17, 2007 at 3:24 AM
I figured it was a known issue. Thanks for all of the great work, I am putting the sites to good use. I look forward to version 3 and hope there is an upgrade path from v2 to v3. Thanks again.
Jan 17, 2008 at 3:40 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2008 at 3:40 PM
I'm experiencing this same problem - a deleted users forums are no longer accessible. Is there a fix to this problem?