UI Consistency

Topics: Request
Jul 17, 2007 at 11:43 PM
I am not sure if these should be issues (I am new) but a quick browse of a "blank" club site revealed
a) inconsistent use of "New xxx" - sometimes a button sometimes a link
b) inconsistent use of "Cancel" - sometimes there is no way to cancel a "new xxx"
c) manage users is misspelt
d) Next and Prev should grey out when at last and first of a list
Coordinator
Jul 17, 2007 at 11:59 PM
We try... it's not going to be perfect... it never will be.

I know d is fixed. C happens and a and b are sort of unavoidable.
Jul 18, 2007 at 11:04 PM
I wasn't criticising - I think the clubsite is excellent and intend to convert to it soon (from the MS version).

When you say fixed do you mean in V3?

What are a) and b) "unavoidable"?

PS Where do you set the style settings (I want to add some)
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2007 at 12:24 AM
inconsistance of the "new" and "cancel" buttons... its inevitable.

Yea, it is fixed in the most recent builds.

Style settings are in App_Themes.
Jul 24, 2007 at 3:24 AM
Hi I tried a few things over the weekend just to learn how it all hangs together (still in V2)

1) Replaced most hyperlink type "buttons" with rollover buttons/links (looks good)
2) Added loginbanner to all forum and blog pages so that they woork like news, events etc

Noticed a few other "oddities"
1) The forum images e.g. read, sticky etc can't be skinned (limit of the imagetemplate control?)
2) The forum mail notification code has lots of hard coded mail parameters (doesn't use web.config?)

Thanks for your efforts
Coordinator
Jul 24, 2007 at 3:37 AM
The email mod code shouldn't have been hard coded. I was sure that I removed that. No matter... it's fixed for v3.

Do the forum images really need to be skined? Is it really THAT important?
Jul 24, 2007 at 11:31 PM
1. The forum images don't need to be skinned. I was maily wondering if it was a limit of the control.
2. Excellent
3. Remember Me doesn't seem to do anything (just like in original). It has no code associated with it. I am missing something?

Looking forward to V3 before I convert across from original (v2). Can I export current members from the old database to the new easily?
Coordinator
Jul 25, 2007 at 6:15 PM
I am hoping to write an app that takes your current db data and pushes it into a new v3 database. I think a change script might not work as well... so I think I'm going to do what I do best.... write code!