How do the css files work

Topics: Help
Aug 1, 2007 at 1:29 AM
Is there a mapping between the name of the CSS files and where they are used? Viewing the source just shows all the css files included together.
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2007 at 2:38 AM
The reason the Designer doesn't reflect the CSS is because we chose to use ASP.NET themes. Inherently, this doesn't allow you to see the style definitions in the designer.

On the bright side, you can drop as many stylesheets into the Theme folder as you want and they will be reflected at "run time".
Aug 1, 2007 at 3:54 AM

But how do I override the standard CSS settings or add new ones? For example are the Forums.css settings only used by the forums pages?
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2007 at 1:17 PM
Look at all the CSS files in the App_Themes\ClubSite folder. ALL those themes are downloaded by EVERY page. ASP.NET enumerates those CSS files at run time and references them for you.

To override, just change the CSS files.
Aug 2, 2007 at 12:16 AM
I understand that. I suupose what I was asking was 2 things
a) are the class names unique across the css files
b) are the css files effectively joined in alphabetical order of their name e.g. events.cc then forums.css etc
Coordinator
Aug 2, 2007 at 1:36 PM
The classes are unique across a particular theme's css files.

I think they are joined in alphabetical order... why do you ask?
Aug 2, 2007 at 11:18 PM
1. Curious as to how they work
2. I have a large set of pages (club history etc) that have their own styles and didn't want them affecting the "default" styles
Coordinator
Aug 3, 2007 at 9:59 PM
What you can do for number 2 is to put EnableTheming="False" at the top of the page. It should work.

Not sure what you mean by number 1.

I can tell you that the CSS files in a theme folder all apply to the pages and are all downloaded with the pages as they are loaded in the browser.

We also use skin files... but that shouldn't affect much.