Upgrade questions and fears

Topics: Developer Discussion, Help, Request
Aug 12, 2007 at 6:48 PM
I would like to upgrade to Version 3 from Version 2RC1 and use the database I now have. I have SQL Server Management Studio Express that I use to connect remotely to my database. Am I correct in assuming that when I click on the Upgrade v2 to v3 sql file and it opens up Management Studio Express and run the file it will upgrade my database on the server so I can use my existing data with V3?
Exactly what is the procedure in SSMSE that I need to do to run the file and upgrade my database.

I understand that I will also need to upgrade the app. config file connection string to what my current v2 config.file is. Is this correct.

I then assume that I will need to redo the pages that I created in V2 to work in V3 correctly.

I need to get all this straight before I attempt anything as I cannot afford to have my hiking club website go down.

Thanks for your help and thanks for all your hard work with this project.
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2007 at 8:21 PM
DO NOT upgrade on your production database. Back it up and get the database onto a SQLExpress db (or a db on your dev box).

Then run the upgrade file against your database and also run the provided alpp. YOU NEED TO READ THE README CAREFULLY OR IT WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY.
Aug 13, 2007 at 1:52 PM
I backed up my database on the server, and restored it on my computer, ran the upgrade against and received errors and an unsuccessful upgrade. Can I post the errors here or email them to you. Thanks for your help. I can also email you the bak file if you would like to see the database.