Problems with password retrieval

Topics: Developer Discussion, Help
May 7, 2007 at 8:24 PM
I dont know much about the asp:password recovery. I have RC1 and I can send out emails through the admin's send email. My problem is when I try to recover my password via email. It errors out telling me I didn't specify a from address. Where can I specify this? I have looked everywhere on the member/login.aspx file to no avail.
Coordinator
May 8, 2007 at 11:59 PM
We will have better documentation on this, but you need to set it in the web.config. You can use the ASP.NET Configuration tool to set the email info.

1) open the tool
2) go to the application tab
3) click "configure SMTP mail settings"
4) enter your info
May 11, 2007 at 6:53 PM
I did that and can send emails from the admin's send mail but I cant do it from the login.aspx
Coordinator
May 11, 2007 at 10:47 PM
Very interesting... I will read some MembershipProvider docs. Maybe we just need to implament our own provider (I sure hope that isn't the case!!!!!!!!!)
May 13, 2007 at 7:30 PM

z2bass wrote:
Very interesting... I will read some MembershipProvider docs. Maybe we just need to implament our own provider (I sure hope that isn't the case!!!!!!!!!)

I am having the exact problem as the above. Admin email works great but password retrieval results in this:

Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: Authentication is required for relay
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: Authentication is required for relay

May 14, 2007 at 2:03 PM

jerrysdean43 wrote:

z2bass wrote:

I am having the exact problem as the above. Admin email works great but password retrieval results in this:

Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: Authentication is required for relay
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: Authentication is required for relay

I was able to get it working.
May 16, 2007 at 3:14 PM
You got it working - great,

What was the cause of the Exception (Your smtp server required authentication - username and password)?
Did the program (website) crash?
Should we have an exception handler here?

May 16, 2007 at 3:57 PM

hotaling wrote:
You got it working - great,

What was the cause of the Exception (Your smtp server required authentication - username and password)?
Did the program (website) crash?
Should we have an exception handler here?

Yes that was the problem ,(Your smtp server required authentication - username and password), it seems that somehow I had conflicting usernames in the web config and the ASP configuration tool, I don't know how this could happen.
I just manually edited the web config, published it to the server and everything worked.